Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Watching a Snail

As I was walking back to my unit upstairs, I saw this snail. It was crawling on the pavement. As I was looking at it, it started to make an u-turn. It took 15 minutes to finishing turning 180 degrees.

To save it from being trotted on, and to save it a few hours, I used my hands and transported it to the grasspatch which I presumed it was crawling to.
This 20 mins that I took, brought to mind a few profound questions.
why did the snail cross the pavement? why did it make an u-turn?

Even more profound, why did I spend 20 mins watching a snail crawl?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did not specify the proximity and bearing of contact so I would have to make my own presumptions.
1) It might have sensed your presence and took you for a predator, hence the desperate U-turn escape pattern. Heck a snail can't differentiate a Chinese from French.
2) By kindly taking it back to the grass patch, you have probably undone all the work of that poor snail. Hey snails are entitled to migrate elsewhere in search of a better habitat too!
3) There could be a whole list of reasons for spending 20 minutes watching a snail, of which I shall not elaborate, but I gather that the most probable one could also be the reason why I spent 15 minutes writing all this crap.

Ffej

le_papillon said...

interesting view =D

le_papillon said...

We are too bored and too free, prob the snail feels the same, and it is just taking a stroll